– Established in 1983 by the then Cross Rivers State Government and called University of Cross River (UniCross) at the time.
– Assumed the status of a Federal University in 1991 and was renamed University of Uyo
– Although established amongst other third generation Universities in Nigeria, The University has leapfrogged into the leagues of First Generation Universities in terms of strides and Laurels won.
– For instance, in 2017, the University of Uyo emerged the overall winner of the National Mathematics Competition for University Students (NAMCUS) organised by the National Mathematical Centre (NMC), Abuja beating 33 other Universities including first generation Federal Universities.
– In the same year (2017) the University of Uyo emerged overall best in the Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE) PetroQuiz competition and moved on to represent Africa at the International Conference which held from 9th to 12th October 2017 at San Antonio, Texas, U.S.A
– Still in 2017, Law Students from the University of Uyo emerged overall winners at the International Humanitarian Law Moot Court Competition held in Port Harcourt. They were consequently penned down to represent Nigeria at the All Africa Moot Court Competition at the International Criminal Court in Tanzania.
– Earlier in 2016, the University of Uyo had beaten other Public and Private Universities to emerge overall winner at the Association of Vice-Chancellors of Nigerian Universities(AVCNU) awards. The awards night was part of the three-day 2016 Nigerian Higher Education Summit organised by AVCNU, Committee of Vice-Chancellors (CVC) and Trust Africa, Dakar, Senegal. UNIUYO was rated best University in Nigeria in the Research Excellence Award category. Our University of Uyo also clinched the top spot in the Science and Technology Award Category.
– In the same 2016, the University of Uyo emerged the overall best in the Nigerian University Research and Exhibition Fair (NURESDEF), held at Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka.
– Just last year (2019), The University of Uyo, again emerged winners of 9th edition of the International Humanitarian Law (IHL) Competition.
There is a stamp of winning in the DNA of every UNIUYO Product. Needless to stress that products of the University of Uyo are highflyers in in the corporate world, academics,sports,politics and other spheres of human endeavours. Alumni of the University of Uyo may be different in various ways, but we are bound by a spirit of Excellence and Success! Our UNIUYO, our pride.