About Nigeria @ 60
As Nigeria approaches its 60th year after independence, it is importance to celebrate how far she has come as a nation and prepare for where we are going. It is in recognition of this that we have put together the Nigeria @ 60 virtual Independence celebration programme. This Celebration entails several activities geared towards youth advocacy, youth engagement in national discourse and art that reflect the hopeful beliefs in our country Nigeria.
Nigeria at 60: “The Future Is Now” is designed to leave no one behind in the cause of creating the “Future We Want Now.” The project will have members of the young generation expressing their visions about the Nigeria they desire to live in through paintings, essay, and theatre.
This 30-day-long series of activities starting on the 2nd of September through 1st of October, will feature a painting competition, an essay writing competition, a people’s assembly and Theatre for Nigeria @ 60 – all on the cyber space using the ZOOM platform.
Entries for essay submissions will open to participants in the 12-17 age bracket for the junior category, and 18 and above in the senior category across Nigeria and the diaspora. Participants will be required to fill an online registration form to submit their written essays. Word count for the junior category is 750-800 word and 1200-1500 for the senior category. Adjudication will be done to produce winners and runners-up along with 54 other finalists to make the 60 awardees to tally with commemoration of Nigeria @ 60.
Submissions open on the 7th September 2020 and closes on the 21st September 2020
Nigeria, our country has come a long way and as we approach our 60th year after independence, it is imperative that we celebrate how far we have come as a nation, how much we have overcome, the obstacle we are still dealing with and gear up for where we are going, because the future is here; The Future is NOW!
The need to engage the present-day youths in national discourse cannot be overemphasized particularly in this era of rapid global change.
This project is aimed at motivating young Nigerians to use their writing as means of expression and contribution to national discourse.
About the competition
Essay submissions open on the 7th of September 2020 and closes on the 21st of September 2020.
Participants will be required to fill an online registration form to submit their written essays.
Participants must be at least 12 years of age. They must be citizens of Nigeria and be able to prove their citizenship status.
Junior category: 12-17
Senior category: 18 and above.
Topic: Nigeria @ 60: The Nigeria of my Future.
Adjudication will be done to produce winners and runners-up along with 54 other finalists to make the 60 awardees in commemoration of Nigeria @ 60.
1st place: 250,000
2nd place: 200,000
3rd place: 100,000
1st place: 200,000
2nd place: 150,000
3rd place: 100,000
Certificate of Participation and Prizes will be awarded to all participating artists during the Special Launch Event on October 1, 2020.
Essay Competition Rules and Guidelines
About the Competition
- Essays should be submitted in PDF, double line spacing, each page numbered. No pictures or illustrations. Font size 12, Times New Roman (or equivalent).
- Essays should be not less than 750 words and not more than 800 words for Junior category (ages 12-18) and not less than 1200 words and not more than 1500 words for Senior category (ages 18 and above).
- Plagiarism will result in immediate disqualification.
- By entering the contest, all entrants grant a non-exclusive worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual license to use and publish each entry for any purpose and in any manner, in its sole discretion, deems appropriate.
- All entrants must be citizens of Nigeria. Proof of identity will be requested
- The judges’ decision on any matter is final. There is no obligation on the project team or on the judges to provide an explanation for any decision made.
- Open door series and/or the judges may disqualify any entry without an explanation if the evidence suggests that there has been a breach of the competition rules.
- Prizes are not transferable or negotiable.
9.Opendoorseries accepts no responsibility for entries lost, delayed, misdirected or undelivered. Incomplete and or illegible entries will be disqualified. Late entries will not be considered.
- All essays must carry a one line certification. I (insert name) certify that this essay is solely written by me and no one else has any claim to the copyright.
- All entrants must submit a passport photograph. (Headshot)
- Winners will be announced on the website and contacted individually via email.
- Originality and creativity: Treatment of the theme showing imagination, human interest, and a fresh point of view. Ability to think ‘outside the box’ in an unusual way.
- Content and structure: Clearly express your ideas in an organized manner. Fully develop your theme and use transitions to move smoothly from one idea to the other.
- Length: Must conform strictly to the word limit provided for each category.
- There must be logical flow using proper grammar and spelling.
- Adherence to the topic. Essays must stay focused on the topic.
- Wow factor: Exceptional essays that display an incredible use of vocabulary, clever ideas, and unique style.
- No use of foul language, derogatory words, or insinuations.