The African Biomedical Engineering Mobility (ABEM) project is funded by the Intra-Africa Academic Mobility Scheme of the Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency of the European Commission.
The scheme is modelled on Europe’s well-established and successful Erasmus-Mundus programme.
As part of the Roadmap 2014-2017 of the Joint Africa-EU Strategy, the Intra-Africa Mobility Scheme underlines the contribution of higher education towards economic and social development and the potential of academic mobility to improve the quality of higher education.
- Host Universities: Addis Ababa University, Kenyatta University and Cairo University
- Category: Masters & PhD
- Eligible Countries: African Countries
- Reward: Full Scholarship with Stipends
- Deadline: January 13, 2021
ABEM will build human and institutional capacity in Africa for needs-based health technology research and development. The project will train postgraduate students with skills and specialisations not offered at their home institutions.
Furthermore, it will support the development of biomedical engineering programmes that are being established, or have recently been established, at partner institutions and contribute toward harmonising biomedical engineering curricula across the continent. This will be achieved through the provision of scholarships to cover the full cost of mobility between African higher education institutions.
To be eligible for a scholarship, master’s and doctoral students must comply with the following criteria:
- Be a national and resident in any of the eligible countries covered by the Programme (see Section 2.1)
- At the time of the application for a scholarship, be registered/admitted in their final year or have obtained their most recent degree (or equivalent) from:
- one of the higher education institutions included in the partnership (Target Group 1); or
- a higher education institution not included in the partnership but established in an eligible country (Target Group 2)
- Have sufficient knowledge of the language of instruction in the host institution.
- Meet the specific requirements of the host institution.
Students can only benefit from one scholarship under the Intra-Africa Academic Mobility Scheme.
Students having benefited from scholarship(s) under the previous Intra-ACP Academic Mobility Scheme cannot receive scholarships under the Intra-Africa Academic Mobility Scheme.
Staff may undertake mobility visits for 1-6 months, at any of the African partner institutions.
- Areas of activity
Staff mobility should contribute to strengthening the academic, management and co-operation capacity of partner institutions, through participation in research projects, teaching, production of new teaching material, development of teaching methods, harmonisation of curricula, development of joint curricula, development of administrative tools and sharing of management approaches. The mobility is also expected to be an integral part of the institutional staff development plan and recognised as such upon return of the staff member.
- Eligibility criteria
In order to be eligible for a scholarship, staff must comply with ALL the following criteria:
- Be a national and resident in any of the eligible countries (see Section 2.1)
- Work in or be associated with a partner higher education institution.
Scholarship Duration and Reward
- The scholarship will cover:
- roundtrip flight ticket and visa costs;
- participation costs such as tuition fees, registration fees and service fees where applicable
- insurance (health, accident, travel);
- a settling-in allowance;
- a monthly subsistence allowance;
- a contribution towards the research costs associated with student mobility of 10 months or longer.
|Allowances paid to the scholarship holder|
|Mobility type||Monthly allowance||Once-off settling-in allowance|
|Master’s||€ 600||€ 600|
|Doctoral||€ 900||€ 900|
|Funds managed by the partnership|
|Mobility type||Participation costs per academic year for mobility equal to or longer than 10 months||Research costs per academic year for mobility equal to or longer than 10 months||Insurance (maximum per month)|
|Master’s||€ 3,500||€ 600||€ 75|
|Doctoral||€ 4,000||€ 2,000||€ 75|
Target groups and types of mobility
There are two target groups and three different types of individual mobility:
|Target group 1||Students registered in or having obtained a degree from one of the six African partner institutions||Master’sDoctorate||6-24 months6-48 months|
|Staff working in or associated with one of six African partner institutions||Visits for teaching and/or research, or for engagement on administration and management||1 – 6 months|
|Target group 2||Students registered in or having obtained a degree from a higher education institution not included in the partnership but established in an eligible country (see below)||Master’sDoctorate|
Method of Application
Like to submit an application? please indicate your interest. The application process are Online Applications
- Verify the eligibility criteria to ensure you do fulfil all of the requirements and criteria to be able to submit an application.
- Identify the Target Group to which you belongs and the available ABEM scholarships.
- The candidates must Create an account on the application website, fill in the online application form (Link is given below)
- Select the host institution(s) with consideration to the following:
- The language requirements of the host institution.
- The identified areas of excellence and available projects in each partner institution.
- The required academic background for the field of study, research project or activity.
- The cost of living at prospective host institutions, personal needs for subsistence, and the monthly stipend for the scholarship.
- The need to adapt to different cultural realities at the hosts institution and also to different climate conditions, in case of selection
- Prepare a mobility project proposal describing the aims, activities and foreseen study/work plan and taking into consideration the objectives and goals of the host programme and of the ABEM project.
- Applicants must submit by uploading all required documentation in their application process
- Prepare a motivation with regard to the benefits and expected outcomes of the mobility
- Submit completely filled programme application form